As a Gentiva employee, you are eligible for benefits if you have regularly scheduled hours of 30 per week or more.
Benefits Effective Date
- Newly hired or newly eligible employees – Benefits go into effect the first day of the month following 30 days of continuous employment in a benefits eligible position.
- Employees who experience a qualified life event (marriage, birth, adoption, etc.) – Documentation must be received within 30 days of the event for benefit changes to go into effect as of the date of the event. Learn more about qualified life events.
New Hire Benefits Effective Date Example
- Hire or transfer date – April 6
- Last day to enroll – May 31
- Benefits effective date – June 1 (the first day of the month following 30 days of continuous employment)
- You must enroll in benefits in order to enroll your eligible dependents.
- You will be required to attest to your dependents’ eligibility in our enrollment system.
- Eligible dependents may include your Spouse, including a same-sex Spouse, or Domestic Partner and children.
In June, 2013 the Supreme Court ruled that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional. Based on this ruling and guidance issued by the IRS, individuals of the same sex wil be considered lawfully married if married in a state that legally recognizes same-sex marriage. If you cover a same-sex spouse and provide proof of legal marriage, you can pay for spouse coverage on a a before tax basis even if you reside in a state different from where you were legally married.
Contact the Employee Service Center if you have a Domestic Partner who is now considered a Spouse.
Need detailed eligibility definitions? Additional information can be found in the Summary Plan Description.